October 15, 2007

Mother Lode I









I found this enormous, filthy rock sticking out of the riverbank a week ago while doing rockhound recon. You can't see the good stuff in this photo because I took it before I washed off the worst of the mud and gravel, but I assure you I was motivated enough by what I found to go get the car, drive to a nearby parking lot, hike across the bridge, and carry the rock back to the car in my arms to get it home safely. I ended up completely caked in filth and my wrists and knee got borked a little.

Last night, right after taking these pictures, I spent about two hours scouring it with a toothbrush and scrubby-brush. It's still nowhere near clean, but I've managed to tweeze out most of the pebbles and bits of roots that had lodged in the various crevices and crannies.

I haven't been able to post any shots of the cleaned-up rock yet because I can't find my camera. I've been freaking out for days, searching the house over and over again, and it's just...gone. I even went through the cars and boxes I haven't opened since moving in. I borrowed Rah's camera to get these snapshots, but it doesn't like doing macro stuff, so I'll have to post the rest when I finally get my camera back (I hope).

Household stuff has kept me kind of busy lately, so I've been unable to work. It's better than it was, but not quite up to what I'd like. In a few minutes, I have to go run another errand, and then hopefully I can spend the rest of the day doing the comic.

Yesterday, I finally bought myself a knee brace. The pain was almost completely gone the moment I slipped it on before leaving the store (it hurt too much to wait another second). So now I've got three of my four limbs braced. Let's hope that last leg holds up okay :D

1 comment:

  1. Dude, it looks like there's a skull embedded in the top of that rock. What a great Halloween display that would make. :D

    ReplyDelete