March 15, 2008

Scientology: The Ides of March Protest Report



Protest successful! Public was educated! SciCos intimidated! Rickrolls initiated! Mudkips appreciated!

I'd say twice as many people were present at the peak of the demonstration, around 150 or so. It was good stuff. Totally peaceful, except an angry unbalanced guy kicked the window of the org on his way past, then came back to do it again but we all yelled "no no no noooo!" and he changed his mind. There would be video of this, but I didn't press the record button hard enough on my camera.

Still kicking myself over that one.

I also got kidnapped by the magic bus! A city bus pulled over and the driver asked for a flyer. I got on, handed one to him, and then the driver closed the door and said "you're coming with US!" The whole bus laughed. "We're going for a ride!"

Then he pulled the door back open to let me out. I was laughing my ass off. Later on, one of the police officers flashed us the peace sign and smiled as he drove away. Minneapolis is just plain cool.

I discovered that I have the ability to talk to the public about what we're protesting. It was scary at first but my convention training kicked in and I got all eloquent and stuff. Lots of people took fliers and even stopped to talk. Most were in disbelief but I urged them not to take my word for it; this stuff is pretty outlandish but the proof is all a matter of public record. It was very tiring and I'm pretty sure I got hypothermic toward the end. The temperature plunged and the wind kicked up and suddenly it was winter hell again. Winter hell sandwiched between two days of spring joy--clearly God hates social consciousness and wants all of us lose fingers!

A teaser for tomorrow: Jesse's Longcat scarf was loooooooooooooong. No pics of it yet, but I'm sure some will surface on Enturbulation once it comes back from suckland. I was photographed about a zillion times.

I took a bunch of pictures this time. These are the best of them.

Here am videos:







5 comments:

  1. Damn amazing. I wish I could have gone to a nearby protest, but alas, work and travel constraints prohibited me. Maybe I'll get to go to the one in April instead...if the CoS is still around by then ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oye, looks like in Atlanta, there was a trap setup. Even though the protesters were told that they didn't need a permit, two were arrested nonetheless for 1)Not having a permit and 2)Causing offensive or hazardous conditions. Police also ticketed any cars that honked as they passed by.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_GK-9O8glU

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap, some of those signs are gorgeous. And that protest looks wicked. I wish I'd been able to go to the one in T.O. but I have the nose plague. Sniffle!

    Anon re: Atlanta - those cops are pissed at their chief and have been for a long time according to digg. Methinks the corruption just done got unburied :D Badass!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome. And nothing thrown at your head this time!

    Speaking to the public is interesting. On the 10th I was utterly useless, stammery, and lame. At a mini-protest here with Tommy Gorman on Sunday I got in some practice and suddenly found I could be informative and engaging-- gasp!

    Re: the Atlanta problem is specifically the dekalb police department. Someone there needs a swift, sharp spanking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, from what I heard the Ides were epic win in general. According to the Insurgentwiki, there were about eight thousand people at the protests worldwide.

    I don't think I'll be able to make it to one of them until May though. School sucks.

    ReplyDelete