April 5, 2008

I be proofin'.

Ever since I was a little kid, I've had these horrible wrist problems. I used to have weak ankles too, although that's gone away and been replaced by similar problems with the knees.

At one point when I was 10, I couldn't stand the pain anymore, so my mom took me to have blood tests. Arthritis runs in the family, but they failed to diagnose me with anything. As far as I can recall, they never even suggested if I might have arepetetive strain injury. So it got worse and for years and years I just dealt with the pain and assumed nothing could be done about it. Now it's really bad.

The Captain and I found and followed a really awesome trail to the next town and back for most of the afternoon, but I'm paying for it now. My left hand has decided to go on strike. If I won't torch my bicycle, it's just going to have to punish me with shooting pain and numbness until I learn my lesson.

Typing is really awkward thanks to the brace and reduced sensation, so I'm off the comp for a while.

Why does biking have to be so fucking addictive? I want to keep riding all day long, no matter how much it hurts. Ah well, at least there's always ibuprofen.

Edit: I've also been lacing nummy treatfood with hot peppers to try and teach the Captain not to steal food off my desk. He ate the pizza with Thai dragon peppers without any ill effects, and didn't even blink at a tablespoonfull of cayenne pepper sprinkled over rice. We're thinking of trying wasabi or habanero, and if that doesn't work, I'm going to give up and admit that my dog is the only creature native to the Midwest that sincerely enjoys spicy food.

3 comments:

  1. ty_ping writes:

    Have you seen a docter about it recently? You should ask them about Prolotherapy treatment and if they think it could help you.

    Basically, if I'm understanding the procedure right, it's an injection that causes an inflamation in the tendons and ligaments (Would probably hurt like a bitch at first) however, it causes your body to go into "Healing Mode" without there being an acctual strain to heal, this allows for re-enforcement of the areas tissue, and makes it stronger to all damages.

    As opposed to regular inflamation where you need to repair damage and leaves the ligiments and tendons in the same or a weakend state.

    just a thought, I've been watching too much House.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try Scotch Bonnets, if you can find them anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasabi probably won't work. My dogs both love it, and since it isn't full of capsaicin like other spicy things it doesn't hurt for more than a second or two before being yummy.

    ReplyDelete