April 6, 2008

Back!

THE SITE'S BACK!

Remind me not to let April sneak up on me again next year. I need to get off my ass and switch to a provider that doesn't charge $35 per year for a no-frills domain name. Or maybe one that lets me hide my home address and phone number from wannabe internet detectives.

Update's not done yet. My left wrist situation is dire, though the right one feels no pain at all. I think the flareup must have gotten into gear when I held the leash with my right hand and leaned all my weight on the left while biking pre-Springer. (Which, BTW, is still the best thing since sliced bread.) Thanks to my failure to be normal, soft side of the velcro on my left wrist brace has felted, and now I have to rubber-band it to make the tab stay shut.

Anyone recommend handlebar configurations/inventions to reduce nerve injury, short of adjusting the height of the handlebars (which isn't possible)? A cool person in the comments here mentioned end-caps, and Steve says you can buy those large enough to hang onto and reposition your entire grip.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, I surfed here from following Jesse's links-- although it turned out after I found that new place Metanoia that I'd actually seen Kagerou first years ago and really enjoyed your style. Then, er, I got caught up on archives, wandered off, and forgot the address. Oops.

    Anyway, that's basically just info to show that I'm not a spammer or corporate shill-- because what I'm going to say next is that I saw your domain-registrar complaint and the folks I use, Dreamhost (www.dreamhost.com), seem to fit your needs. They register domains for $10 a year and they definitely shield you from having any of your address or name information out there if you select that option. Also, their monthly newsletter is extremely irreverent. Like, the CEO rambles on, comes off as a giant dork, and occasionally tells off-color jokes. This may or may not be a plus for you, but it makes my day more surreal every time.

    They also do hosting, yes, but they will just do domains if that's all you want-- I just checked. If you actually want hosting too, I can give you a fancy referral code to get the first year cheaper. If you just want to start using them to register your domain, alas, I have no power to cheapen that. Or make it less expensive. (Re: cheapening, I guess I could make it tawdry if I tried, but that's awfully personal and would be creepy of me because I don't actually know you.)

    To sum up: hi, like your stuff, saw your complaint, hope this helps if you didn't already resolve it. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ariel! Thanks for reading the wicked creations of Studio Whipping Boy :)

    I will definitely be looking into Dreamhost, since I've heard good stuff about them. Thanks for the recommend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On bike stuff:

    1. You might be able to raise the handlebars with a stem extender. I can't remember what sort of headset that bike has, but it should be doable with either a threaded or unthreaded.

    2. Bar ends.

    3. For the full effect, you could install a set of trekking bars. I have them on mine and love 'em.

    4. Better grips/tape.

    5. Cycling gloves with padding at the base of the palm might help, too.

    s/ steve
    (why does this thing insist on chopping "little stevie" to just "little"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya Steve! Thank you so much for the suggestions. Seebs got me a pair of end cap thingies yesterday, but can't get the handlegrip off to install them so we quit for the day.

    I had never heard of some of these other things. This is a huge help!

    ReplyDelete