June 30, 2008

OMG CNN WTF

Remember that "White skin still the best, study finds" headline CNN had on its front page last year?



I am now convinced that they're doing it on purpose.

Turns out the story is about a host club. It's a romantic tearoom Disney princess fantasy with good-looking English-speaking guys. I didn't see any groveling.

And since it takes place in Japan, CNN sent their Asian newscaster to do the video report. She's Korean, but never mind that because all look same anyway. CNN uses her in every Asian puff piece, whether her role is to eat lo-mein, model a kimono or play with a robot doggie for the camera.

I don't necessarily believe that's a huge problem taken strictly on its own merit, but it's part of a larger phenomenon that I feel deserves to be acknowledged. Also, I wonder what the reporter thinks about it, if indeed she thinks about it at all beyond thye level of "WHEEEE THEY LET ME GO ON THE TELLY!"

Don't miss the bonus laff: For a limited time only, you can buy the 'groveling' headline as a T-SHIRT! Now where'd I put my wallet?

No comments:

Post a Comment