June 11, 2008

Dental Insanity III: The Scrapening

So it turns out a lot of what I thought was below-gumline tooth decay was actually just twelve years of buildup turning the edges of my teeth funny colors.



Not the best shot, as I (the dumbass) didn't take a shot this morning before leaving the house. But you get the idea. All my teeth are blended together in the before but become separate entities in the after.

Having the stuff scaled off was pretty traumatic, but it'll never be that brutal again. I'll be going back in December for my first regularly scheduled 6-month cleaning.

How like life this cleaning appointment was. I've lived so long in a haze of confusion and incompetence, surrounded by trouble and setbacks and too terrified to confront my fear because it might turn out to be more than I can handle. And then that all gets scraped away, and find out that underneath the buildup I'm actually pretty fortunate. Not to say I don't have problems, just that they are nowhere near as bad as the time I spent running from the unknown. The anticipation was vastly worse than the reality.

Next step: Dog needs a booster for his distemper, I need a shrink consult so I can deal with the anxiety that has put me in such a quagmire, and I have to fill out a tax return for last year's A-Kon because I just got a letter from Texas charging me an arbitrary $100. Since I didn't make anything, I can get that back as a refund, but I can't keep fucking off or it will get more expensive.

Above everything else: replace my tablet! Because there's never so much on my plate that art can't come first.

No comments:

Post a Comment