October 10, 2008

MinnCare A Lot

Seebs messaged me earlier to let me know that a package had arrived for me. It was a big envelope from Social Services, congratulating me on being poor enough to qualify for MinnCare coverage of my very own.

The cover letter went on to explain that now that I am officially registered, I need to go through the phonebook-sized stack of booklets, fill out some final forms, and choose one of the three plans available in my area. Basically, I need to call around and check to see which plan the various local medical facilities accept. Then I choose the plan that suits me best based on which one turns out to be the most convenient, and wait for my medical card to arrive.

Reading through the packet boggles my mind. Glasses, dental care, mental health, checkups, even freakin' chiropractors--it's all covered. I even get a copay on medicine prescriptions with a monthly limit of like $15.

The office of my therapist, who pushed me into going through with this in the first place, accepts MinnCare. So now I can go back and see her every week until she's thoroughly sick of me.

And I can finally get asthma medication to replace my dead mother's inhaler (which expired in 2004)! And have my wisdom teeth removed! And get my wrist problems checked out! And suffer through my first physical since 1994!

It's like moving to Canada but without the curiously sweet ketchup or the thousands of dollars' worth of immigration fees and citizenship testing. I'm rich, I tell ya! Rich beyond the dreams of avarice!

Next stop: FOOD STAMPS :)

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!

    We can always mail you the ketchup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recommend the Blue Cross/Blue Plus plan. They seem to offer the most goodies and are affiliated with the most clinics (at least around where I live. ) They have fairly good dental too if you're poor enough. (Although they won't cover crowns. Sniff.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! An asthmatic friend of mine has been without health insurance for years now so I can imagine what a pain its been to be without an inhaler for so long. Enjoy your state-sponsored health care, hopefully the rest of us will join your ranks someday.

    ReplyDelete