November 25, 2008

Really Stupid Things To Be Scared Of

I just discovered that I'm genuinely frightened of the leaning tower of Pisa. The photos squick me right the fuck out--especially the ones where the uneven floors and curve are especially prominent. Ugh, it's just horrible.

Sometimes I have dreams where I'm trying to get out of a high building that's slanted like that. There's usually a staircase on the outside that I'm trying to climb (up or down) and it usually comes apart. Even noticing the places where our old house's flooring is uneven from a century of settling makes my heart beat a little too hard and I have to think about something else or I'll start to think about what it would feel like to be inside a collapsing house.

I don't even like to be in a place with more than five floors. I had to stay in a hotel with 50 of them once and I had panic attacks.

Shit, I dunno. Maybe my parents let me watch the Towering Inferno at too young an age or something.

1 comment:

  1. ty_ping writes
    oddly enough, watching something scary at a young age might be what set you off. I'm scared of spiders due to watching Arachnaphobia at 7 and terrified of pregnancy due to a mix of watching Aliens at 8 and my mom being pregnant at the same time.

    I thought babies came bursting from your gut hissing for YEARS after that.

    ReplyDelete