February 12, 2007

Out on the Lake

I was in bed, about to fall deeply asleep, when my cel phone began ringing. I had it set obnoxiously high during the trip to Nebraska, and forgot to turn off the ringer after returning to the Twin Cities.

It was my brother, and he was pissed at me.

Backstory: This X-mas, I went home to visit Mom. It was awesome, and the last time I saw her alive, except when she was lying in that god damned hospital bed, which really doesn't count. She gave me her credit card and told me to spend a certain amount while we were out on the town. She did her checkbook dance to make sure she could afford it, and all was well.

I accidentally took the card home with me to St. Paul with me, and since she was in the hospital barely two weeks later, it got lost in the shuffle. And at some point during the insanity of our first trip down to see her in the hospital, I used the card twice. I stayed well under the limit of what she had given me.

Well, my brother is furious. He claims that the card had never been activated and my using it has ruined his plans to have it cancelled on account of her death, or something. He wasn't very explicit on the details, and I was half-awake. After hanging up, though, drowsiness fled and I spent the rest of the night undergoing horrible dreams that left me feeling even more exhausted upon awakening.

It sucks when the initial glow of reconciliation fades, but I can't say I'm surprised. I've been waiting for this unhappy moment for a while now.

Mom's the one that kept me tethered to that place and that part of my life, and she's gone now. I have burned some bridges, many for good reasons, some because I was wrong.

In a way, I'm perversely glad that, with Mom gone, I can cut myself free from my past without hurting the one person who rooted for us as an ensemble cast. But is that really the most graceful way to honor her memory, knowing how important it was for her that we all learn to share a planet? How far should honoring someone's wishes go before it becomes living for the dead?

There's a point where I will have to say "I love you, Mom, but my siblings and I are better off in a long-distance relationship." She'll understand, but she will be unhappy about it. I think what's really going on is that I know I'll feel guilty about the decision, and attributing the guilt to the emotions of a deceased person allows me to put a step between myself and regret, thus making it slightly easier to make a hard choice.

My sister has two modes, super-happy and incandescent with rage. She is famous for jumping back and forth several times in the course of five minutes between these extremes, and it's become a little bit pathological.

Sample conversation from memory:

A. Dude, don't take that road anymore, the potholes will destroy your car.

Me: It's okay, the car I'm driving has really good shocks. It hasn't bothered me yet.

A: I WAS JUST TRYING TO FUCKING HELP YOU! JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

Me: I just meant--

A: STOP INTERRUPTING ME! I WAS JUST TRYING TO GIVE YOU SOME GOOD ADVICE AND YOU DON'T EVEN FUCKING LET ME GET A WORD IN!

Me: I didn't mean--

A: YOU DID IT AGAIN! YOU WOULDN'T EVEN LET ME TALK! YOU KNOW WHAT? FUCK...YOU! *hangs up*

She hasn't been physically violent in years and I've learned to stay out of her way, but things are not good between us. It stems, I think, from miscommunication. She believes that when I get calm and quiet during arguments, it's because I am looking down on her for all her inadequacies and flaws, judging her.

The truth is that I get quiet and stop making eye contact in arguments because I'm scared shitless of provoking her rage, or if it's too late for that, of giving her new fuel.

She blows up because she hates herself and is projecting her faults onto my silence or downcast eyes. The standoff can't help but escalate unchecked because she won't calm down and I can't make her NOT see hidden hatred in my every move. We're like two countries on the edge of a full-scale nuclear war.

Neither one is able to let the past go. She's still mad because she thinks I'm laughing at her. She also knows I blog about her behavior and that the portrait is not kind. For my part, I'm mad because she went insane one time and invited her drug friends to come into my house and take home whatever belongings they liked.

This is not something we can just put behind us or patch up. I cannot forgive her because she's destroyed our trust so many times. I either trust someone or discard them; there is no middle ground. With my family, I can understand a little of how I grew to be this way. But it's cold.

And she can't prove to me that she's a different person, because any sudden moves from her direction immediately throw me into Def-Con 2, and I'm sure it shows in my demeanor.

Sadly, this standoff resulted in one of her famous explosions during a visit with Mom. She wanted to paint Mom's nails, but I had already been warned not to do so by a nurse because they need to check her nails periodically for cyanosis. She listened briefly to my explanation, then got the idea I was talking about the inconvenience of having to move the finger-clamp monitor from finger to finger, and overrode me with her plans to get around the problem.

If I could go back in time and NOT have taken that brisk tone with her on the third repetition of the cyanosis explanation, I would do it in a heartbeat. I had to know it would set her off. It did, and she snarled at me and stormed out, ending her first visit of several days in negativity. If there's one thing we didn't need in that dark and horrible room, watching Mom gradually slip away, it was yet another shallow feud ending in the words "No, I've been DISMISSED. You have DISMISSED me." followed by storming out of the room.

For my part, I blame stress and grief and maybe even a subtle urge to just get the explosion over with. I don't know. It was bad. At least Mom knows how we are and, even if she was aware of the mess, would understand that this wasn't a relationship-ender, but merely the latest in a long line of failures to see eye-to-eye.

My brother and sister are also at odds with one another. He's had it with her temper and unpredictability. She's furious that he (as the youngest) was given Power of Attorney over herself (the oldest).

He's angry that she argued with Mom's decision to intubate and scared her with dire warnings so that she was not in a good place when she went under.

She's pissed that he retaliated by not giving her the password for daily status updates over the phone, thus causing her to be left 'out of the loop.'

He's pissed that she blew up on the Baptist minister at Mom's unplugging. She's furious that he made her feel unwelcome to Mom's wake, resulting in her not attending either the wake or the Baptist service.

And now she's extra mad because she ended up not even hearing about the Mormon service, and couldn't go to that. In my opinion, she made her desires plain by choosing not to come to the other services, and her anger and rejection and tendency to derail conversations led to an unfortunate mistake, resulting in her not being invited to this final service .

She says she would have wanted to go, but she bears some responsibility for making it impossible to please her. If either one of them had been willing to behave like an adult, even an angry adult, it would not have gotten to the point where one of Mom's own children didn't go to any of her services. He snubbed her, and she reveled in the rejection and turned it into Law.

She will regret this later. I know I sure do.

And by letting their squabble occupy so much of their time that they both individually chose to leave their other sibling happily ignorant of Mom's sickness, hospitalization or the high likelihood that she wouldn't make it this time, they have both blown it big time with me.

I tried to tell myself they didn't mean to ignore me until it was too late to say "Goodbye" or "I love you," but all it would have taken was one fucking phone call. One email. Before she was intubated, she even asked them to call me, and they didn't. She asked them to call me and they didn't.

I've tried to put the outrage and anger behind me, but I'd have to be a Zen monk to not feel a sense of absolute, crushing rejection. If either one of them had called me, I wouldn't have spent the days before her intubation playing fucking video games without a care in the world. I would have been on the phone telling her to be strong. Reading to her. Trying to keep her company.

I get that when someone dies, a natural response is to try to make sense of it by creating a villain. Your kid falls off a jungle gym, so you sue to remove playgrounds from schools. That sort of thing. You want closure, so you dwell on the things that weren't done, no matter how trivial.

This is different. This was the single most important thing any family could do for its out-of-town members during a crisis, and I got left by the wayside because they were busy snipping at each other and forgot about the real world.

If one or the other had forgotten to contact me, all could be forgiven because it wouldn't have been too late. But they both knew they should call me, both knew Mom wanted them to call me, and both failed to do so without having any explanation for it later other than "I forgot."

This is a hurt that can never be righted. I have to live with it. So begins the struggle between my mother's very good reasons for us to love one another and stick together, and my urge to scorch the earth between us forever.

But back to the money thing. My brother is having trouble making ends meet now that Mom's SSI is no longer helping pay the rent. I'm sad to say that my wealthy relatives have been oddly silent since she died. My aunt actually told my brother not to pay the Funeral mill, and to just take a $2400 hit on his credit and get on with his life.

She does not understand that credit is actually quite important to members of the working class; she was just trying to be helpful. She did collect $700 from her church and friends to contribute to the cremation fund, though, so that's nice.

My grandfather lives on an Ohio lakeshore and has a nice boat. Apparently he lives off of the interest of the family estate. He married Grandma and became step-father to her kids, but he has never bothered to bond with any of them or their own children. It's funny, but I was 22 when I finally realized why he had always been "out on the lake" or "out on the tractor" every time we asked about him during Grandma's holiday/birthday phone calls. When Grandma was sick for the last time, he pulled the "no, you can't speak to her, you'll just excite her" shit on MY Mom, and it devastated her.

Still, he sent along a hefty $500 to help pay for his step-daughter's cremation. Grandma would have smacked him, but she died a few years ago and was frail enough by then to have made little impact anyway.

I gave my brother $1000 to help with expenses. I have no steady job, no money, no husband or wife earning bread, no inheritance that I know of. When Grandma died, she did so with full intentions of including her kids in the will, but he will probably leave everything to his vile yuppie spawn anyway and we will be offered their second-hand clothes and scuffed yard sale furniture.

(True story, one X-mas the people in this family invited my Mom and siblings over for gift exchange. They proudly presented us with taped-shut garbage bags of castoff clothing. I remember one of the other gifts we saw changing hands that day was a set of keys to a very nice car. Top shelf people, really top shelf.)

I raised the money via the internet. I think it's pretty funny that people who have never met the woman coughed up more than my rich grandfather to see her decently cremated and returned to her children, but there you are.

But now my brother is mad at me for spending the money Mom gave me for a Christmas/birthday gift. I didn't realize that it would cause him trouble. I'm cutting up our cards and closing the shared bank account to avoid future mishaps, but I've failed him because he is under stress and I've just gone and added to it.

My family is broken. Mom, I'm sorry, but I don't see this working out without a miracle. Even with a mountain of past transgressions more or less forgiven, we will never be friends. It was good that we siblings were able to come together (with some thorns) during this crisis, but what comes next? What comes after there's no assholes left in that scummy redneck town to gang up on?

We three siblings have always been a source of anguish for my Mom. She watched us grow from contentious little Welfare brats into adults whose rocky loyalties simultaneous pleased and horrified her. We've all been taught by long experience to believe that every little needle-prick is the point of a dagger. It's too late to pretend that a new start is possible, and we're too jaded to want to waste our efforts. And yet, now that she's gone and it's no longer we three against the world, we've lost our excuse to remain family.

Lonely, yes. I don't want to disappoint her, wherever she is, so I guess I'll just keep trying to fix this until I can't anymore. Sometimes all you get is a shallow phone relationship, and sometime's that's enough.

Out on the lake... there but for the grace of God go I.

9 comments:

  1. After reading all that, on some levels, parts of your family sound a lot like parts of mine, especially your interaction with your siblings. For a long time, things were very tense with the three of us, and I know it bothered Mom a lot... one of the things I remember from shortly after she died was my brother saying that coming together because of that could fix things and "she saved us the only way she knew how." Right after the funeral, and for about a month afterwards, things were really tense again, maybe even worse, but we all realized that we were family and needed each other, and did end up coming back together. I get along better with my sister now than I have in years, and I wish it could have happened without Mom dying, but I'm glad that something good could come of it. I really hope the same can happen with your siblings and you. As much as we hate them sometimes, families are important. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be pretty awesome, and something worth trying for.

    We are strange little people, my family, but I can't see cutting off contact entirely. Even after the things that have gone wrong just this past month, I would be stupid to just give up. Too much is invested.

    But I should also stop trying to actively fix this, because that tends to have disastrous results. I guess it's just one of those 'evolve, and let the chips fall where they may' things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've definately got a good chance at it happening.

    It's going to be rough for a while because all your emotions will probably be raw, so it'll be even easier to get on each other's nerves (at least, that's how it played out in my family). But for us, it evolved towards realizing that, even if we were annoying each other sometimes, we also were in the same basic situation and could take care of each other too, and things improved. It just happened, without us trying to do anything. And I genuinely do hope the same thing works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gah. Family was just some supreme being's way of forcing you to live with people whom you'd kill if they were anybody else. (Didn't cha know that?) Even in my family, which seems pretty even keeled, there are a couple of sisters whom I'll just never visit or talk to except during the holidays (and even then 50 percent of what they say to me are cutting remarks criticizing my lifestyle choices.) Maybe distancing yourself from your siblings for awhile will be a good thing. (I visited one of my sisters in Vegas one year, and by the time the trip was over, we were fighting like rabid cats. But a few months later, things simmered down and we had time to think things over, and things are now okay between us. We have a very happy long-distance relationship (and we realize that a lot of our happiness hinges on our remaining a long distance away from each other.) There's nothing wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Luka,

    Just so you're prepared, closing the accounts can be a major headache sometimes. My mom passed away 10 years ago and my dad took care of all those thing, but its only with the recent passing of a friend of mine's mother that I realized how much BS he probably had to go through.

    Sometimes they don't even accept the death certificate of an account holder (I'm not sure if that's legal or not to reject it or not) but often that is at least the minimum. Another thing you should do is look into seeing if you can get a credit check in a couple months to make certain there weren't any accounts you didn't know about. Of course if there are any, you should make sure they're not shared accounts with other siblings, or small funds set up for other relative's future (like a niece or something).

    I'm probably saying things you already know, but in case you didn't I just wanted to give a couple hints that my friend found and wasn't expecting when dealing with his mom's death.

    -Aspasia13

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was whining to my driving instructor today how my family is starting to fall apart. Reading this makes me change my mind. I don't know what to say to you about your siblings, except that you have my sympathy.

    Bridget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please don't beat yourself up over this. There is no law, moral or otherwise, that says you have to be BFF with anyone in your family. Trying to force the issue would not honor your mother's memory. I know that's the exact opposite of what most people think they're supposed to believe, but it's true. Sometimes true peace comes from non-contact.

    (Me not good with words. Ugh. Hope the well-wishes come through.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be honest, I couldn't possibly relate to this kind of dulling pain- the kind that had grown from miscommunication and leaving things unsaid- as I've come from a fairly sizable family; whom are all quite close. In truth, it's mostly our mom who's hinged this unspeakable bond between us. My dad is hot-tempered (though these days it's less than it used to be) and a few years back, it would not have surprised me if he would have qabandoned us to fend for ourselves. Having a house full of daughters, and only one son who's autistic, has driven my dad over the edge sometimes.

    He often feels judged. When we try to discuss something with him, disagreeing with him in any way, suddenly we are the enemy and against him and the other things he can do are flare up and leave or 'surrender'. Even though there woould be no real conflict in the conversation. He originally came from a rich family too, but onc he married my mother and went out on his own he lost all the financial support he'd had while with his parents. His dad had been an ace bomber-pilot and was very decorated, so he'd been very straight'forward about the 'man' having athority in the household.

    But my mother's had been more focused on the women in power to organize and maintain things. A conflict of interest- supported by a family with 5 girls (6, counting m mom) and my brother, who my dad grows frustrated with and hurts emotionally all the time. Because he loves him, but can't understand him. Because he cares, but is shamed that his only son is inadequete to his wishes. The details of my dad's childhood are complicated. Because of those complications, he sometimes lashes out at us when there is a difference in opinion to his own- especially if it's more than one. But this is the closest I can come to relating, and it's an entirely different situation.

    My dad is like this, but he strives to show his affection for us- even my brother- he tries hard to express how he feels and he's been improving over the years... but he's still short-tempered, and we never know when we might say 'the wrong thing' to set him off again. Even so, with tight unseen bonds my mother had taught us to build, we're keeping it together pretty well...

    I'm not sure what relevance these thoughts have to your own, I may just be speaking out of my ass, but after reading everyone's comments and your own, my fingers just started typing... funny, that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not exactly sure what I should say at this point.

    I will tell you that I read this entry twice. After the first reading, I'd like to send my condolences and sympathies...those things that we as strangers on the internet offer almost freely. You've got my admiration for being able to make it through such a time. If there is any way to send good vibes in your general direction, I'll will discover it and do so, presently.

    But I was struck by the precision and...well, the beauty that you described the whole ordeal with. Terrible, sad beauty, but it was captivating. I will tell you that as I a writer, I yearn for the ability to convey thoughts, emotions, scenarios as well as you just conveyed them here.

    I can't even write a decent comment.

    Luka, I do hope that things look up from here. I don't have the kind of experience you have with your family, but if art is truly therapy, I know you will be able to work it out in your own way.

    ReplyDelete