August 16, 2007

I Should Tell You

My dog makes little bubbly woofle noises in his sleep.

I think I'm finally glad to have him. The only problem is that he attacked one of the cats the other day and it was clearly predatory. I was reading up on German Shorthairs and discovered that (as hunting animals) they have a tendency to be aggressive toward cats. This behavior worries me--I've never met a dog that didn't fall all over himself to be loved by the cats.

Still, dogs can be taught lots of behaviors that go contrary to their natures, so I'm hoping that respecting the kitties (or at the very least, ignoring them) is something we can realistically shoot for.

His obedience classes are coming up, and I plan to ask the instructors whether we might place some emphasis on this aspect of training. It would suck to have to surrender him for rehoming in a house without cats just when the buyer's remorse was finally fading.

No comments:

Post a Comment