September 21, 2007

A Letter From A Smoker

Dear Assholes Who Want Public Smoking Banned,

Your right to enter a public establishment without being physically harmed ends where my right to force large groups of total strangers to inhale the toxic fumes of my drug of choice begins.

Attempting to guarantee your own safety when in an enclosed space is a slippery slope that will, if followed, lead us to the same kind of scary nanny state that allowed the Holocaust. It is so fucking selfish to want to breathe air when I want you to breathe my smoke. How can I have a good time dancing with you constantly going on and on about your lungs are closing up and you can't breathe? Wah. You're just whiny bitches who can't handle a little risk. My mom smoked when she was pregnant with me and I was FINE.

Let me tell you something, assholes. You talk a good clip about personal responsibility, but you don't seem to understand what it means. Personal responsibility is far more than just taking care of yourself and accepting the consequences for your decisions.

What about your duty as a citizen to allow the dangerous behavior of others to threaten your health and safety? What about my rights to whittle your social scene down to the library, the mall, and your own front yard?

Personal responsibility, my ass. You're just a bunch of bullies making excuses to take away my right to smoke when I want to without regard for how it affects others.

It's very simple, you tiny-brained morons. Don't like having deadly asthma attacks and allergic reactions whenever you attempt to go dancing or enjoy a meal? Stay home! It's the only choice you can safely make anyway, since you're such fucking prudes.

Oh, you still want to talk about bans? Fine. Let's talk about how you should be banned entering any place with an even remotely interesting night life. That boredom you feel every weekend is freedom in action, baby!

-Breathless in Saint Paul

I've been meaning to compose this one for ages, but it took some smoking wank to prime my pump.

12 comments:

  1. Nice. While living in Florida, my roommates and I discovered that smoking had been banned from all restaurants, and since both of them had asthma, they were quite happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is allergic to cigarette smoke, and if someone is smoking even relatively near to a place he is, or if there is smoke settled into furniture or carpet or something, his skin itches and his lungs get all mucous-ey and gritty. It's kind of upsetting to see just a fraction of the smoke messing with him. He's already got asthma, polyps, allergies, the works.
    I hate it when people contend that the smoke isn't deadly or harmful. Even if it isn't (which I'm pretty sure it is), it's dang irritating. People who cause other kinds of public irritation get smacked around by cops.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should come to Washington, you can't smoke within 25 feet of ANY public building, it rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hell, I smoke and if I'm eating anything remotely worth tasting, the last thing I want is to have cigarette smoke tainting the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i don't completely agree, but you do present a damn good argument. ironically, i kind of want a cigarette, now. i will be sure to light up in a wide open space and blow the smoke upwards to dissipate harmlessly into the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  6. heh, they're just now rolling out the first fines for people violating the latest smoking ban in ohio, its great fun X3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember when a friend of mine wanted to go see a band who was playing at some club, but she couldn't go because it was a smoking club and she has asthma. While there are a lot of places where smoking should not happen (office, banks, gov't buildings) because realistically many people have to go there, a club or bar is a different story. Why shouldn't some club or bar be just for people who want to smoke or don't care if others smoke? Why should /all/ bars and clubs be just for people who don't want to smoke while they drink and listen to some band? If you don't want to be around smoke, don't go there. The no-smoking club or bar will get your business instead. If your smoking friends are really your friends and you can't go to a smoking joint, they'll go with you and slip outside every half hour or so for a smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  8. gentry, you summed up my opinion-- i was just too lazy to write it all out :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got asthma, presumably because people have smoked around me my whole life. I'm glad to live in a state where nobody can smoke inside. It's annoying. Nobody pours beer down your throat when you walk into a bar, do they?

    Sure, it might be cold outside, and you can't exactly choose not to smoke if you're addicted, but looking cool has its price.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christ, I am so tired I didn't even realize you were joking.

    Luckily for both of us, I didn't activate my internet berserker ability.

    ReplyDelete
  11. :D Ireland was quite nice because of their smoking ban.

    ReplyDelete