December 1, 2007

This Hole Was Made For Me

This is the most horrifying, claustrophobic short story I've read in three or four years. Kudos.

Still sick. Coughing up bloody leather and my eyes burn whenever I close them. Been doing absolutely nothing but playing video games because I'm stupid. Did take the dog for a walk today, after bundling up nice and warm.

It finally snowed for real-real--about 6 inches. It was bright enough to read outdoors at midnight and the sky was glowing with a wonderful orange-pink light.

The Captain was skeptical at first, but once he decided the snow wasn't going to eat his paws, he was quickly overtaken by glee and became officially frolicksome. On our walk, he was so struck by the novelty of it all that he pranced like a little Broadway dancer. His toes are webbed and spread apart in the snow so that whenever he takes a step the entire paw sort of balloons into a furry mauve snowshoe. For this situation, the appropriate sound effect is 'pratt pratt pratt'.

Later the snow turned to sleet before tapering off entirely, and what was on the ground quickly grew a hard shell. The Captain likes nothing more in the world than breaking through the crust with his paws and sniffing the resulting holes for possible mice.

Also, he has added some interesting new whale song to his whining repertoire. I laughed my ass off earlier when he started singing this yodeling, purring wookiee lullaby to a cat on the stairs who was out of his reach.

Ha ha, Captain. You suck.


Rain! I misplaced my phone again! I'll call you tomorrow once I've dug it out of the laundry or wherever it is.

2 comments: