January 26, 2008

okonomikaki!

I am waking up tired every morning again. Blah winter! Blah! At least I got some stuff done and didn't spend it ALL napping.

I woke up for good at 11 pm, and walked the dog for two hours or so. It was so bright out thanks to the snow and overcast sky that you could read outside, so we went to the dog park. I let the Captain off his leash as soon as we hit the rodeo stands, because it was 1 AM and there were no cars or other people, and we sort of raced to the park gates. Once he got sick of running around there, we went out into the greenbelt between the park and chased each other around on the frozen river for a while. It was up to 20 degrees again, so I was really enjoying being outside.

I came home, changed my clothes, and took the new household grocery debit card out to pick up a big fuck-off list of stuff. Came home, ate a frozen cheese pizza and some bread for lunch because I was too lazy to cook, and worked on the comic until an hour ago.

Then I made myself a few test okonomiyaki for dinner. They came out all right, but not spectacular. I couldn't find the sauce at the grocery store, so I made do with just the mayonnaise. In small doses, it really did make the okonomiyaki taste awesome.

I made two pancakes, which started as one (there was an... incident with the flipping). The one I left on the burner ended up cooking to mush, but the first one was pretty damn good. I put thin carrot coins, broccoli, finely chopped steak and onion on the griddle, cooked it a bit, and splashed a big ol' heap of the white batter/cabbage mix on top. Okonobukkake!

If I'd known how long it would take for the whole thing to cook, i would have cooked the toppings less before adding the moosh. As it was, a lot of the toppings charred black. But who cares? They still tasted amazing! Overall, my results were a bit bland and in dire need of some sauce, but passable. Definitely passable.

I'll throw on some bonito flakes next time. They should add some nice flavor to the dish, plus I like to watch them dance and writhe around on top of the hot food. They wigged me out but good when I tried putting some on onigiri the other night.

Now I'm full of cabbage and meat, so I'm going to go back to inking.

No comments:

Post a Comment