February 17, 2008

Domesticide

Had a really bad night's sleep (not enough of it, and constantly interrupted) so I couldn't concentrate on the comic. Finally I said fuck it and took a nap, and for a wonder, the goddamn dog didn't wake me up even once!

I woke up at 2 am feeling totally refreshed. Ate the rest of my Subway sandwich, did a load of dishes and a load of laundry, folded the towels from the dryer, took them upstairs and put them away in the bathroom closet.

This house-elfing-for-rent gig is really helping my state of mind, especially now that I have so much more to do. The endorphin rush I get from folding towels, clearing spaces and generally Getting Things Done cannot be beaten.

You'd think this would make me less of a slob, but I assure you it does not. Half the time, my room usually looks like a bomb went off. It is a mystery.

Speaking of getting things done, I somehow managed to plan tomorrow's meal without ever once consciously thinking about what I was doing. I pan-fried some onions until semi-cooked, tossed in two packages of beef stew meat to brown, and dumped it all in the slow cooker with some broth to simmer for the next 8 hours or so.

Next I cleaned and baked 8 potatoes. I de-cluttered the dining room a little bit and painstakingly untangled and rolled into a ball a wad of Jesse's blue yarn one of the cats had scattered across the floor a few months ago. All this was done while I waited for the kitchen timer to go off and the potatoes to be done.

When the happy time came, I scooped out the potato-guts from the baked shells (burning my hands in the process), mashed them with mixture of melted butter, chopped mushrooms, onions and garlic, salted the moosh and stuffed it back into the potato shells. Then I foil-wrapped the potatoes and popped them in the fridge. They'll keep til evening, then I can stick them in the oven to finish.

All that done, I brushed my teeth, took the dog outside to fire a laser into the snow (because that's what robots do when they drink too much water), and declared myself satisfied with my day's work.

Now I can go back to bed for real, knowing that all is right with the world and that the hard work of coloring the comic tomorrow will at least be the only thing I need to worry about.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds delicious. Too bad I have no patience when it comes to cooking D:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I often run into the same problem. I'm only just now trying to learn how to cook more than just vegetable beef/chicken soup.

    I think audiobooks make it a lot less frustrating for me to be in the kitchen that long. Bless you, iPodchan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing the "housewifery for rent" too?

    *thumbs up*

    if you need any easy recipied (and I mean easy because I'm dumb as a brick when it comes to the cookery) let me know, cooks books are shams but I've been picking up some mad kitchen skills as of the last few months.

    ReplyDelete