September 24, 2008

Pet Lovers, Don't Read This

A house down the street caught fire the other night. The firefighters were hosing it down for like three hours, and when Rah and I walked by it the next morning on the way to the grocery store, the entire place was gutted. You could see through the broken windows straight through to the backyard. There was a neat pile of maybe 200 water bottles. Must be a hell of a thirsty line of work.

A heap of charred something was lying in the driveway, and in the yard there was an empty wire dog crate. Nothing else had been removed from the house. Just that little empty cage.

I hoped for the best until I read on the city news website that two of the family dogs died in the fire. The humans and the other dogs got out in time, though.

Fucking hell, man. I wish there was something I could do. Hugging my dog and watching him thump his tail in confused approval seems like a good start.

2 comments:

  1. Losing pets is awful. Losing pets to fires is worse, I think. I almost lost my dog that way, and I did lose my cats that way.

    All you can do is give the people and friends (animals or otherwise) your best all the time. You don't know how long you'll have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is morbid but on the bright side they would have passed out and died of sufforcation long before the fire would have it them.
    After all it could be worse, my brothers friend microwaved his (the friends) ex-girlfriends pet cat.

    ReplyDelete