January 25, 2009

The Burden of Fame

A year ago I made a snarky post about some truly wretched and self-absorbed E!D!G!Y! teen artwork on Deviantart. Over time, that post somehow ended up high on the list of Google results for a self-injury related search string, and now that old entry is getting heaps of anonymous comments.

So far not one of these newbies has bothered to comment on the entry itself. Overnight the comments just became a forum to share their issues with the usual poorly concealed self-admiration. Mid-conversation, even, like they all migrated at once during a thread somewhere else.

It's like somebody's copy-pasting Harry Potter hurt-comfort fanfic in my blog, complete with self insert characters who listen to Evanescence and think suffering is just so romantic.

Of course I'm fucking with them. It's like a law of physics. Gravity pulls, objects in motion tend to remain in motion, and Luka hungers for the blood of Mary Sue. I added a shit ton of attention whore macros to the entry, and put a trigger warning at the very end just in case.

God bless you, blink tag. You get a lot of shit in this world, but you might just have saved me some eyerolling.

7 comments:

  1. Links? For the love of FSM give us some links to this shit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://lukadia.blogspot.com/2007/07/youve-have-seen-self-mutilation.html

    It's still going on, too. I got like two or three comments just today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure they're not fucking with you? That's a lot of steryotypical cutting folk under the name anonymous there. You'd think you'd get a few xxemoxx or insert-pagan-mishmash-here types. Folks with proper drama backgrounds to carry around and blogs to pimp and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy flying fuck do these people even hear themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering the exact opposite--if that's ALL they hear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it when the red water comes out.

    Haha, no. But seriously, your blog is surprisingly drama free compared to some of your comment threads on deviantART. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's because there are thousands of catgirl-drawing lunatics under 18 over there, instead of ten people like my own blog.

    I have a nasty habit of starting big fires and then fanning the flames on art communities. You should have seen my Elfwood gallery back in the day. I'm much more reserved now. (Yeaaaah sure...)

    ReplyDelete