March 18, 2007

Plague Dog

Plague #1 Swelling and intense pain in left smallest finger. This is the crooked finger that was broken during a game of dodgeball when I was 12. I think something's wrong with the nerve. I wore one of Mom's rings on that hand for her funeral and the fingers got mashed together, which hurt like the devil. Apparently it hasn't recovered yet because picking up a plate sets it off again half the time.

Plague #2 Knees just plain sucking. Wore the wrong shoes for some high-impact exercise this week and was rewarded with a double scoop of broken glass in the joints. It faded after a couple of days and I'm hoping the new shoes will avoid a revisitation.

Plague #3 Left wrist taking its turn in the agony spotlight. Resting my head on that hand when I read has caused a flare-up of my lifelong wrist pain. Now it gives out if I lean on it at all.

Plague #4 Bit the inside of my cheek just before breakfast this morning.

Plague #5 Ear infection. My jaw hurts like a whore on the right side when I open my mouth.

Plague #6 CLUMSINESS.

Plague #7 Knee pain revisited. Having celebrated the fact that the previous knee pain was gone, I went and ran into an open drawer in the dark. I whacked the corner a good one with the same kneecap that took the impact that time I was walking to work in the snow and fell on a concrete drain cover. Now I get intense shooting pain whenever I put weight on the leg. Great, more down time...

I haven't had THIS many mysterious bodily dysfunctions at one time since I was ten years old and being checked for juvenile arthritis. Since all of them are caused by different things, though, this time I'm chalking it up to one long run of just plain bad luck. And hey, at least the thumb with the splinter in it has stopped hurting...a year later, but still.

I'm going to just stay indoors, away from heavy machinery, and wait for the Gods to forget whatever it is that I did to piss them off this week. The last thing I need right now is for the next plague to be Mexican Hamster Flu or something.

Other than that, things are going really well. Comic's scanned and looking good, donations are coming in at a decent pace, and Rain has pointed out a program that saves Youtube videos to your iPod. We went out for corned beef and cabbage to celebrate Irish Drinkohols Day and had a great time.

Still, I kind of think I better just go back to bed. This first attempt at waking up with a smile on my face and a spring in my step has clearly gone the way of the Eskimo hunting ethic.

Ow.

No comments:

Post a Comment