September 13, 2007

A Litany of Woe and Lame

Alex the Parrot Died.

Man, that SUCKS. He was awesome.

Yesterday was a fount of hilarity and strange. I was still up at 8 AM, so Jesse and I took Captain Obvious to the park and did some basic training (getting him to come when Jesse called, getting him to follow commands when distracted by small children, that sort of thing).

It was ungodly cold out, so we came home to put him in the bathroom and get some breakfast. He saw Mai-Mai (who never comes downstairs and is therefore still new to him) and bolted after her when I wasn't ready for it, jerking my arm hard all the way up to the shoulder. It was like getting struck by lightning.

The whole rest of the day that arm felt weird, and today my fingers are tingling a little bit. So we locked him up and drove off to the dread Perkins. We got all the way to the Rice Library when Jesse pushed the clutch in and it went "CLONK."

I got out and pushed the station wagon the rest of the way to the intersection, then up the street to the library entrance. By the time we got to the top of the little hill, my calf muscles had knotted and cramped up. I was shoving the car with all my might to keep it from rolling back down and bowling me over.

I ended up gasping for breath by the end of it, but we got the car parked safely. We hiked the rest of the way to Perkins, had some food and warmed up, then Jesse called Seebs at work for further instructions. Meanwhile, I was suffering from an asthma attack because I hadn't brought my inhaler and had been breathing very cold air through the mouth while I pushed the car. I'm still spitting up crap a day later!

We hiked back to the library to wait for the tow truck, and I got another sunburn all over my face. It was so bright outside I also got eyestrain from squinting. Then Jesse left with the tow truck to meet Seebs at the repair shop, and I gave myself a carpal-tunnel flare-up on the right side by leaning on that hand while I sorted through the library's parking lot gravel, collecting fossils and neat little crystals and stuff.

Seebs showed up at about 2 pm and brought me home. The repair cost for the clutch was lower than we feared, which is good. This is the same car whose clutch went out on us at Animazement 2004, which was a much costlier and more severe repair job.

Then I started packing up some books in the living room and gave myself an allergic spaz attack that left me wheezing with bloodshot eyes and a runny nose.

Conclusion: Look up 'epic fail' in any dictionary and you'll see a picture of me being shot in the face with lasers. I'm just THAT unlucky.

On the excellently bright side: We close on the new house tomorrow and begin moving in earnest right after that. Once we're settled in, I'll get to work on these Kagerou pages I've been pencilling even though I'm supposed to officially be taking a break.

I can't even slack off properly :)

2 comments:

  1. I promise sometime in this life I'm heading out your way from a con and I'm bringin my massage table with me ^-^ I love a challenge and you sound like you could seriously benefit from a massage right about now. Keep on those carpal tunnel flare ups, massage all the way around the base of your elbow to the tops of your wrist to fight it and don't be stingy with hot to cold compresses, its as easy as soaking a cloth and putting one in the microwave and one in the freezer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in a table close to you during that Animazement. When I told my mechanic brother what you paid to have your clutch fixed, he told me you spent twice what he would have charged. (No wonder your repair bill was cheaper this time--you probably didn't get ripped off...)

    Hope things go better for you soon!

    ReplyDelete