December 19, 2007

Cheese, Chairs, Chillblains

We drove up to the St. Paul house yesterday to pack up the trash in my bedroom and haul it to the curb. Oh and clean out the fridge.

Did you know milk turns pink and the buildup of gas splits the carton open if you leave it in the fridge for five months? The result was a spattering of pre-cheese goop that managed to coat most of the inside of the fridge, along with everything in it. It was a real adventure to mop up. Five intensive handwashings later my hands STILL smelled like I stuck them up a hobo's ass.

I was at least able to salvage the plastic storage boxes in the fridge. The food in them had turned fun colors but plastic can clean up pretty good with bleach. I decided to leave the fridge doors open to dry out the last of the milk instead of letting it ferment in a closed space, so the stench of slimy pink death-semen quickly spread through the entire downstairs. Num.

The other day my chair broke clean apart. It was a rickety piece of shit that came with my art desk and I'd been hoping like hell for an excuse to replace it with something that wouldn't slide back from the desk if I leaned forward at all. Lately it's been dropping little metal bits--screws and washers and all those other pointless parts that clearly fulfill no role in maintaining basic chair integrity.

When the magical time of destruction arrived, I was prepared for it and landed on my feet while the whole thing disintegrated and various pieces of shrapnel went spinning across the floor behind me.

I had not considered the very real possibility of a replacement being more expensive than the fifteen bucks or so I have left (all in singles). So for three days I had to stand to use the computer, as the desk is too high for a regular dining room chair and re-adjusting it would take crazy time and effort.

Last night I got the bright idea to borrow Seebs' old office chair, and it was exactly the right height. All is comfort once more. It's even got a back on it so I can lean a bit.

Yesterday the temperature climbed all the way to 35 degrees. It was like summertime.

1 comment:

  1. Oh God, now I am going to have rotten milk nightmares...
    I never thought it would turn pink, though.

    ReplyDelete