February 24, 2008

Rice-A-Roni: Cheaper than Ever

Oh God, oh GOD....

In an interview with TIME, the best-selling author of Interview with the Vampire and The Queen of the Damned, has revealed that she plans to write one last book about Lestat, the feared, yet beloved, blood-sucking main character in her gothic novel series. "When I published my first book about the Lord I said I would never write about those characters again," Rice acknowledged. "But I have one more book that I would really like to write. It will be a story that I need to tell."

Upon returning to the church after a more than three decade absence, the author in 2005 dramatically and publicly declared that she would never again return to writing about vampires. Said Rice in an interview with Christianity Today: "I would never go back, not even if they say you will be financially ruined. I would be a fool for all eternity to turn my back on God like that."

But never say never. While Rice justifies her decision by saying the book will have a definite Christian framework and a focus on the theme of redemption, she admits that the future chronicle will once again involve the character Lestat and a fictional organization known as the Talamaska that is responsible for investigating the supernatural. Much like the author herself, Lestat will be wrestling with the existence of God throughout the story. "I don't see it as a violation of my promise, because I won't be writing about vampires in the same way," Rice maintains.


OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD THIS IS GOING TO BE PRICELESS

6 comments:

  1. Christian...vampires...? Written by Anne Rice? The same Anne Rice famous for basically CREATING the hot gay vampire stereotype?

    Priceless doesn't begin to cover it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugh.

    Frankly I've been disgusted by Rice for ages, starting with her acctually paying attention to Role Playing Fanfiction writing groups and then being a general pissant to them, to then this whole "Christianity" thing.
    Frankly I thought her book about Jesus was interesting, I was hopng that it would lead into some homoerotic theory but then it just went from bad to worse.
    either she's nuts, or brilliant as can't you see anyone who ever saw/read interview with the vampire lapping this book up because it's "The Last One"
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was anohter "Last one" a few years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personaly, I quit reading Anne Rice's work after queen of the damned. I liked the decidedly existential undertones. the God mongering drove me away =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. more like worthless...

    I do not mock the woman's skills, because she has obviously made in-roads for darker forms of fiction into mainstream fiction writing. I mock her "genius". Religion, granted, is a heavily influential trait in most, if not all, people, but fiction is NOT TRUTH! I do not see why being christian prevents one from writing about....well, anything at all. the christian faith has in mainstream media been the credited source of vampire mythology (this is incorrect, it is much older, but that is another rant entirely), so I see no reason for a christian author famous for being the founder of modern vampire fiction to STOP WRITING about them.

    I question the sanity, and possibly intelligence, of anyone who feels this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it weren't self-insert fanfic with Lestat as her Mary Sue, she might have actually pulled it off.

    Darn.

    ReplyDelete